Sunday, March 4, 2007

Africans Say The Darndest Things...

During June of 2005 I spent two weeks in Tororo, Uganda, East Africa. I was there with a team of American and Scottish ladies to host a women's conference. One day during a break from church, which in Africa lasts most of the day, I walked out of the building to take pictures and meet the women who had traveled so far to our conference. I had only been out the door for about 15 seconds when a short Ugandan woman ran up to me. She raised and dropped her arms in a gesture of pure inspiration and awe as she approached.

With no introduction she exclaimed with a thick accent,
"I had no idea they had short people in America!"

(For those of you that are unaware I stopped growing once I hit 5 feet) A weird giggle/laugh thing escaped my unprepared mouth. I am used to short jokes and greatly enjoy a well crafted one, however I never expected to hear them in Uganda.

As if by a holy revelation she announced,
"I thought in America you were all very tall like great buildings. But you-you are short like me…"

At that point I was trying very hard not to break out hysterically and was somewhat successful. However the next sentence undid my composure completely.

"…but I am not fat like you!" she exclaims with admiration.

At this pronouncement I did burst into fairly hysterical laughter which I quickly tried to suppress. This effort of course resulted in no end of odd facial expressions as I tried to muster all the muscle control I had to keep a straight face.

I then prayed for her at her request with I'm sure a hint of laughter in my voice. I then shared this little anecdote with my team who all considered it a great joke.

I love Africans!

2 comments:

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

You can be "The Lady of Chalot."

There she weaves by night and day
A magic web of colors gay,
She has heard a whisper say
A curse is on her if she stay
To look down on Camelot...

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Where do you find your quotes for "quote of the week?"